How is child support enforced?

On Behalf of | Jul 2, 2020 | Family Law |

Whether you have primary or shared custody of your child, the court may have ordered your child’s other parent to make monthly support payments. Whatever your circumstances, you may rely on these funds to help provide for the needs and care of your child.

Simply having a child support order in place does not always mean your child’s other parent will fulfill his or her financial obligation. Should your former partner pay late, make short payments or fail to pay their support altogether, the state’s Child Support Services agency may use several options to encourage or compel payment.

Income withholding and fund interceptions

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, to enforce child support orders, CCS may issue income withholding orders for certain income sources. In addition to requiring employers to deduct a specified amount from the paychecks of your child’s other parent, the state may also initiate income withholdings for benefits such as unemployment, Social Security, veteran’s disability and workers’ compensation. Additionally, the agency may collect amounts owed through the interception of state and federal tax refunds and lottery winnings.

Liens and levies

Should your child’s other parent have personal property of value, CSS may place liens upon it to enforce your child support order. For example, this may include real estate, vehicles or other such assets. Further, the agency may place levies on the banking or other financial accounts of your child’s other parent should he or she fall into arrears.

Professional and recreational revocations

To enforce your child support order, CSS may also take action to revoke the professional, recreational and driver’s licenses of your child’s other parent. For instance, this may include licenses to practice medicine or operate a business, as well as permits for hunting and fishing. The state may also revoke the passports of parents who fall behind or fail to pay court-ordered child support.