1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications And Enforcement

Are You Seeking Or Trying To Stop A Modification?

Life changes after a divorce, and it is sometimes necessary to modify existing orders so that they reflect the present-day reality. If you are seeking a modification of custody, support, alimony or any other family law-related court order, or trying to stop a modification that will adversely affect you, the attorneys at The Law Office of Geoffrey A. Planer in Gastonia are here for you.

Some of the most common reasons people seek modifications include:

  • Relocation — a parent having to move away for work or other purposes
  • A change in income
  • A serious illness or disability
  • The changing needs of the children

Before granting a modification, the court must be presented with compelling evidence that a material change of circumstances has occurred. Our lawyers know what evidence a judge is likely to consider in these types of cases and can help you make the most convincing case possible. We can also provide you with effective representation if you are trying to stop a modification that will adversely affect you or your children.


When a party bound to a legal decree fails to meet their obligations, it may be necessary to initiate an enforcement action through the court system. Issues that require enforcement actions include paying child support or alimony and adhering to the details of a child custody and visitation schedule.

If you are seeking an enforcement action against another party, we can help you explore your legal options, including initiating a contempt of court proceeding. If you are defending against an enforcement action, we can also protect your rights in civil proceedings.

Discuss Your Alimony Issues With An Experienced Lawyer

If you are seeking a child support modification or need guidance for any modification or enforcement issue in North Carolina, we are here for you. You can contact our law offices online or by telephone at 704-885-1062.